2020 Vision


“Sir, we wish to see Jesus.” – John 12:21

No, it’s not good to dwell on the past, but, it’s also foolish to ignore it and not learn anything from it. I remember plenty of one-time-only actions that never got repeated because the lessons learned were swift, clear, and sometimes painful or embarrassing.

I shoved pigweed up my sister’s nose when I was 6, about the same time I peed under my bed since the bathroom was downstairs. As a teenager, I lit a fire in my bedroom to burn an ex-girlfriend’s things. I slammed the door on a friend’s sister’s finger. When I was in 4th grade, I teased 8th grader Kim Fritz, who knocked me down, knelt on my arms and threatened to spit on my face.

So, I remember, but I’m not ruled by these past mistakes. Looking back, I can see the error of my ways, and I can also see what I could have done differently to have produced a better outcome.

I’m glad I can look back. I’m glad I survived. I’m glad I was fortunate and/or forgiven in each of these circumstances. And, I’m glad for hindsight, that is said to be 20/20…as there is plenty to see and learn from the mistakes of our past.

But, there’s even more to learn from and see in our Savior. Many Christians have just celebrated the birth of Christ, and are looking ahead to rejoicing in the resurrection. In His birth, we see that we are part of this world, and that things won’t always go as planned. In His resurrection, we see that God has power over sin, death and the devil.

In 2020 AD, may your vision be clear as your Savior draws near to love you and welcome you with open arms…regardless of what your past looks like.

James Gomez
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts