The Wilderness


“And the Spirit immediately drove him into the wilderness. He was in the wilderness forty days, tempted by Satan; and he was with the wild beasts; and the angels waited on him.” Mark 1: 12—13

No one goes willingly into the Wilderness. Even Jesus had to be compelled to go. When the Israelites wandered for 40 years in the wilderness, many complained... loudly and often. I don’t blame them. I would have been the chief whiner! 

The wilderness is a place of chaos, discomfort and danger. I have never heard anyone say, “I’m having a great time, but I need a wilderness experience in my life to make me complete!” 

If you’ve ever been in the wilderness–that dark night of the soul, illness, grief, tragedy, confusion, whatever form it takes–you know you wanted a quick exit. The wilderness also brings doubt. What if all I know about God isn’t true? What if God really doesn’t care? We’re always tempted at our lowest point. 

This is why I am so glad that the Spirit drove Jesus into the wilderness, because his experience gives me hope. We are told that the wild beasts were with Jesus, tamed by his presence. I can picture Isaiah’s peaceable kingdom, the lion and the lamb laying side by side. We are told that the angels, God’s messengers, ministered to Jesus. 

This reminds me that, in our wilderness, God always sends his messengers to help us. Now, I have 20/20 hindsight. Sometimes I did not perceive God’s messengers until years after my wilderness wanderings. As I looked back, I realized all the wonderful angels who were there to speak peace and comfort while I whined and complained to God! 

Today, our entire nation has been plunged into the Wilderness.  No one has been unaffected.  We are separated from family and friends.  We are frightened by the reports of illness and death.  Our economy is reeling.  Our way of life has been upended… and we don’t have any idea when we can resume a ‘normal’ life.  Be assured, dear friends, that God does not leave us in the wilderness alone. God’s messengers still guide and comfort. I see the angels all around me this day… in our local fire chiefs, manning hotlines to speed support; in our churches, sending messages of hope over social media; and in random acts of kindness, even at a distance. May we all be strengthened by the grace and power of God, who accompanies us, even in the wilderness of Covid-19. 

Dawn Volpe, Pastor, Ephraim Moravian Church



Comments

Popular Posts