Which Monk Will You Be?


Recently, I read a story about two ancient monks who needed oil.  On the same day, they both planted olive saplings. The first monk prayed for gentle rains to feed the root system.  The Lord answered his prayer. Then he prayed for the sun to shine to nourish the leaves.  The Lord answered his prayer. Then he prayed for a frost to brace its structure. The Lord answered his prayer. But soon the monk discovered his sapling died. In his distress, he told the second monk all about his experience.
The second monk reported differently.  “I planted my little tree and it thrives! I entrusted it to its God. Because he made it, he knows best what it needs. I did not instruct him but only prayed that he would send it what it needed.”
During this season of reflection, I realize that I have spent most my life as the first monk.  “Dear God! I need an A on this exam… Lord, I want HIM as my husband… If I hope to be successful, help me get this promotion…" Even as I type these words, I feel stress of life management. It isn't easy being the first monk! Decisions are made. Responsibilities mount. My reputation is at stake. People will talk. I want life predictable, manageable and successful. To that end, I tell God what he needs to do for me and when.
But over the past decade of my life while facing challenges too big for my own wisdom, I’ve seen the value of living like the second monk. “Lord, my heavenly provider: you know what I need today. Would you give me eyes to see your provision? You have a plan for my life.  Would you give me strength to take the next step? You have sent people around me who are hungry to know you.  Would you help me to be bold in my love?”
Jesus himself taught us to live this way: “If you decide to live for God, it follows that you don’t fuss about what’s on the table at mealtimes or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion… Has anyone by fussing in front of the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch? …God gives such amazing attention to the wildflowers and birds, don’t you think he’ll attend to you, doing his best for you? Relax! Don’t be so preoccupied with getting that you can’t respond to God’s giving. Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come when the time comes.”  (Selections from Matthew 6:27-34, paraphrased)
The unknowns of our current situation are many. The needs and concerns grow by the day. In the face of these challenges, which monk will you be?

Pastor Nancy Bontempo, Friends Community Church of Sturgeon Bay




Comments

Popular Posts