When God Changes the Subject

Have you ever tried to settle a score (really put someone in their place) and endeavor to spiritualize it all at the same time?

The disciples had this experience one day as Jesus was planning to enter a Samaritan village. He sent messengers on ahead to prepare for His arrival, but the Samaritans rejected them. James and John were so upset that they asked, “Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them, just as Elijah did?”

Jesus rebuked them and said, “The Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives but to save them.”

The disciples literally wanted to incinerate these Samaritans while citing the scriptures. However, Jesus called out their true motivation and changed the subject from the Samaritans’ destruction to their salvation.

I once had a similar experience.

Have you ever had a full-blown argument in your mind with a person who wasn’t actually present? I was having one of those years ago while running on a treadmill.

My mind was several layers deep in a heated exchange and the “fire was about to fall”. At that precise moment God completely changed the subject and impressed this thought on my mind, “Praise the Lord”.

I thought, “Praise the Lord? What? Where did that come from?” I instinctively responded, “Lord, I will praise You when I'm done working through this (meaning the argument in my head).”

Immediately, the Spirit prompted back, “You don't have to bring closure to Satan’s confusion before you can praise Me.”

As soon as I heard those words I remembered Psalm 34:1, “I will bless the LORD at all times: His praise shall continually be in my mouth.”

The moment I interrupted the argument in my head and began to praise God, I felt the weight of the heated discourse fall away and a fresh appreciation for the goodness of God. The emotions of anger and vindictiveness toward the person I was arguing with were gone.

The Apostle Peter declared (1 Peter 2:9), “But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.”

As I began to proclaim His praises that day I experienced divine permission to “change the subject” and come out of my darkness into His marvelous light.

Pastor Ed House
Door of Life Christian Church, Sister Bay




  



Comments

Popular Posts